We had a lovely morning today with a really nice group, making teas and eating some tea based cakes!
Here is the recipe to the teabread we had; it’s very easy to do and tastes delicious.
- 300g dried fruit
- 225ml hot tea
- juice 1 orange (about 75ml/21⁄2fl oz) plus zest
- 50g butter
- 100g light brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 225g self-raising flour
- 4 tbsp demerara sugar
- Place the dried fruits in a bowl and pour over the hot tea, orange juice and zest. Cover with cling film, then leave for at least 4 hrs, or better still overnight.
- Heat oven to 180C/160C fan/gas 4. Grease and line the base of a 2lb loaf tin.
- Beat together the butter and sugar until creamy, then beat in the egg followed by the flour. Carefully stir through the fruit mixture. If there is still a lot of liquid left in the fruit mixture drain some away to leave only a small amount of liquid. Spoon the mixture into the tin, then smooth over the surface with the back of a spoon.
- Bake for 1 hr or until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean. Leave to cool in the tin, then turn out, cut into slices and serve with a nice cup of herbal tea.